I-Connect Diversity & Inclusion Experience
For incoming students, I-Connect is held in the Spring semester. You will receive an email with more information about how to register during the first week of Spring classes.
The I-Connect Diversity & Inclusion Experience is an opportunity to reflect upon the attitudes and practice the skills that we need to learn, work, and live our lives in a diverse campus community. I-Connect has two components:
- a self-paced eText workbook. The eText Workbook invites you to explore foundational ideas for living and working in a diverse and inclusive world through readings, videos, and reflective scenarios.
- an Interactive Zoom Workshop. The Interactive Zoom Workshop lets you put the ideas from the eText Workbook into practice with a group of peer educators who are students like you.
- January 29, 2024: First Day of I-Connect eText
- February 04, 2024: First Day of Interactive I-Connect Workshops
- April 18, 2024: Last Day of Interactive I-Connect Workshops
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Complete I-Connect?
I-Connect is mandatory for all full-time first year and transfer students. To recieve credit, you must complete the eText Workbook and an Interactive Zoom Workshop.
In the Spring, all full-time first year and transfer students will receive an email invitation to access the eText Workbook. Upon completion of the eText Workbook, you will be directed to register for an Interactive Zoom Workshop.
Why is I-Connect Mandatory?
As part of the Illinois Experience, the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign strives to develop its students as engaged citizens who value transformative, inclusive relationships with our communities. I-Connect utilizes evidence-based approaches to raise awareness about diversity on our campus and practice healthy communication and conflict de-escalation skills. These skills support a campus climate where all students feel a sense of belonging and inclusion at Illinois. These skills position our students for success at Illinois and beyond.
How Do I Become An I-Connect Peer Educator?
Are you interested in topics related to diversity, inclusion, and social justice? Do you have experience leading difficult conversations? Do you want to become a diversity leader on campus?
I-Connect peer educators are university students who lead I-Connect Interactive Workshops in the Spring.
Applications will open on September 04, 2023 for Spring 2024 Peer Educators. For more information, see Employment Opportunities.
Does I-Connect place holds on student accounts?
No, our office does not place holds on student accounts, so your I-Connect completion status will not interfere with course registration.